commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:46:49 GMT

> James, could you point me to any ASF document that regulates storage of
> dependencies in the repository, please?

There may or may not be such a document.  I'm not really interested in
trying to be the "binary police".  I just noticed it while adding that
project into my latest Eclipse development environment.

> we keep those dependencies in the repository to make them easily
> available. So users that want to check out and compile HttpClient don't
> have to worry about getting them from somewhere.

I don't really understand what you are saying here.  How can someone be
"smart enough" to either download a source distribution or checkout the
project via svn, but "too dumb" or "lazy" to just download the dependent
jars seperately.  Sorry, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

> Yes, there is Maven. That's fine as long as it works, but we do not like
> to be dependent on the availability of the Maven remote repository.

You don't need Maven to use jars on ibiblio (or any one of the other
repositories).  In fact, I just modified the Ant build script that builds
the Struts 1.2.x nightlies.  The existing build.xml requires you to download
and setup a that points to all the dependencies.  For me,
it is a waste of my time.  Ant should be smart enough to do it for me.  So
that's what I did:

Scroll down to the "download-dependencies" target.

> I figure the JAR names should reflect the actual version of the component,
> however.

I agree.

> Ortwin Gl├╝ck, HttpClient project

If you would like me to setup the same "download-dependencies" for
httpclient, I'd be happy to help.  The example above uses ibiblio, but you
can use any url.

If not, then sorry to bother you.

Have a good one.

James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
EdgeTech, Inc.
AIM:   jmitchtx
Yahoo: jmitchtx

> James Mitchell wrote:
>> Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I noticed this a while
>> back.

>> was under the impression that we are not supposed to keep this kind of
>> stuff in svn....but I could be wrong.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message