commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:14:09 GMT
Ceki,

> Remy Maucherat said,

> > At this point, the only productive thing that could happen
> > is if log4j adopted the java.util.logging API as the
> > logging API for log4j.next.

> It doesn't make any sense for log4j.next to adopt
> java.util.logging API.

Why not?  Provide specifics.  If we are going to go ahead with changes to
JCL to facilitate a next generation standard, let's include discussion of
all options.

> it should be clear to any moderately astute observer
> that bundling an API with the JDK is not enough to
> create a standard.

Well, actually, I think that bundling with the JDK pretty much does define a
standard, since it would be available everywhere.  Perhaps not THE standard,
if there were widespread adoption of alternatives.

	--- Noel