commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:14:49 GMT
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:31:19 +0200, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> What happens when multiple independent webapps use j.u.logging?
> Can each webapp have its own personal logging configuration file?
> And if so, is logging correctly cleaned up when the webapp is undeployed?

Yes, it should work ok. At the moment, it simply uses a weak hashmap,
which I think should be enough.

> > We'll see how well this works soon, as it is used to provide logging
> > defaults in the new Tomcat build (the previous defaults were using
> > java.util.logging as well, but with the default implementations, and
> > consequently didn't do anything useful).
>
> I´ll just point out there are two quite independent logging concepts
> here: logging of internal container details, and logging by webapp code.
>
> I´m quite sure you can use j.u.logging for Tomcat´s internal logging.

No, I can't, the configuration is too restrictive, etc. That's what we
were doing by default in previous Tomcat 5.5 releases.

> Have you also looked into the issues relating to what happens when a
> webapp uses j.u.logging API to log messages (or when some library that
> app depends upon does so)?

I'd recomend you look at it. Why do you think it would cause problems ?

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat