commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:14:26 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:29:41 -0500, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:11:53 +0100, Remy Maucherat
> <remy.maucherat@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That's fine, and thanks for all the hard work. c-l works well enough
> > in Tomcat right now, so no more updates are actually needed
> > (especially non backwards compatible updates ;) ).
>
> Out of dumb interest, what's the need for JCL in Tomcat? Tomcat 5.x is
> JDK 5.x only isn't it, so couldn't it be using java.util.logging?

Because we don't have a good enough java.util.logging implementation.
The default implementation in the JDK is jsut bad, so no matter what
people have to be able to use log4j. I added a container friendly one
last week, to be used in the upcoming 5.5.9 to provide decent
defaults, but it is likely not very mature, and it's missing handlers
(= appenders).

Even if it was ready, there's a benefit of being able to configure
logging server wide (this include applications) in one place. This
works, with log4j, only if everything uses either commons-logging or
log4j. So nothing is going to change overnight.

BTW, we do require JDK 1.4, and package for JDK 5.0 (JDK 5.0 is not required).

> Much of Commons needs JCL to support JDK 1.2 clients, but I'd have
> thought you only have that problem in Tomcat 3 and 4 maintenance
> branches? Unless the idea is just to support users who might want to
> use log4j.
>
> I've still been using log4j, so is it due to java.util.logging being too weak?

Yes, the default implementation is only good enough for simple client
side applications. The problem however, is that people are writing
articles comaring this crappy default impl to log4j.

> My main complaint is that I have to have a String to create a Logger,
> rather than log4j which lets me use a Class so I suspect I've not felt
> the java.util.logging pain yet.

What's the actual use of getLogger(clazz) ? All it actually does is
getLogger(clazz.getName()).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat