commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:11:53 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:33:47 +0000, robert burrell donkin
<> wrote:
> i also understand remy's point: backwards compatibility is very
> important. it is JCL's huge installation base that gives momentum. many
> users will review the choice of logging system altogether when faced
> with a binary incompatible upgrade and (i suspect) many will (like remy)
> choose java.util.logging. i think that a measure of backwards
> compatibility is necessary for adoption.

Yes definitely. If I am forced to adopt a different logging API for
development, as the work will be on JDK 1.4, it will be
java.util.logging. Having written a custom impl of java.util.logging,
I can now assert that, given the right implementation of LogManager,
it is powerful enough.

BTW, assuming the logging project is now open and friendly enough, is
there room for such a project there ?

> personally speaking, i find working on JCL a difficult and often
> thankless task. i'd be grateful if logging offered to take away all my
> JCL pain. however, i do feel an obligation to downstream users (such as
> remy). i feel duty bound to act in their best interests. i am
> unconvinced that simply renaming UGLI to JCL2 would be in their best
> interests (or indeed anyone's) but (as i said previously) the JCL
> developers are not in any real position to either help or hinder any
> move to rebrand UGLI.

That's fine, and thanks for all the hard work. c-l works well enough
in Tomcat right now, so no more updates are actually needed
(especially non backwards compatible updates ;) ).

Rémy Maucherat
Developer & Consultant
JBoss Group (Europe) SàRL

To unsubscribe, e-mail: