commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: VFS: JDBC FileSystem: planning an implementation
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:18:41 GMT
Wouter De Borger wrote:
>-storing files into databases, including some metadata
>(the easy part)

Great!

>-representing tables as virtual files, thus files which can not be
>accessed in a regular way, but their type indicadtes a handler class
>that cast the FileObject to a TableObject and uses them.

Well, I think I got the point. There might be some thing which needs
some discussion. E.g. what if the handler itself needs some library, do
you plan to pack your handler into something like a war?
And I am not sure if your handler shouldnt be a coder/decoder (aka
codec), maybe someone might call it filetype converter. And then I am
not sure if VFS is the right place for it.

I thought representing tables as virtual files should result in
something like a xml file. VFS should only try to _transport_ the
content, not interpreting it.

But since this is the second step of your project I will be happy to see
the first integrated into VFS ;-)

---
Mario