commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <>
Subject Re: VFS: JDBC FileSystem: planning an implementation
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:02:16 GMT
Wouter De Borger wrote:
>So, I can as well build one that fits the needs of the Commons project.
This could be great.

>The idea now is not only to provide acces to files stored in the
>database, also to make regular tables accessable, perhaps as an
>extended form of TableModels (or anything else)(sugestions welkom,
Could you please express a little bit more in detail how you would like
to view the sturcture of a table in vfs?
What is the path?
What is its content?
What about file attributes?
What is your planned destination database. BLOB might be a pain to
handle if you e.g. think about oracle and I am unsure if this is really
possible in an database independent way.

Trying to map a filesystem into a database and map any database to a
filesytem like structure are two different stories, arent they?

I dont know what your primary goal is, but for sure, if we could work
out a database model to map a filesystem in it might be a good start.
The JDBC stuff should be abstract enough to allow implementations for
different databases.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message