commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <>
Subject Re: [net] FTPclient: keeping track of dates of files on the server
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:34:36 GMT

Is Ant the right tool for your job?  Ant is a build tool, not an
all-purpose scripting language.  If what you describe is all you're
doing, you might consider a script written in perl or python, or perhaps
in java using commons-net directly.  Or if you're in a j2ee container
environment like jboss, using some of the clustering features they offer.

I wouldn't choose Ant for your use case unless you're also
simultaneously doing some other kinds of building and packaging that you
haven't mentioned.

Neeme Praks wrote:
> ok, clear enough.
> I'll look into the source code of the ftp task and play around with it a
> bit.
> Another suggestion for that task is to allow retry-in-case-of-failure,
> not just abort or ignore as in the current version. But I'll take those
> issues up on Ant list.
> My use case is simple: I'm using ant ftp task to deploy Velocity scripts
> to several front-end machines (7 in total).
> And it is really annoying to change one file and to discover that
> instead of just uploading one file, it will upload a whole bunch of them...
> I actually need some more customized behaviour, so I will most probably
> write a separate task and see if there are any more interested parties
> in Ant community.
> Rgds,
> Neeme

To unsubscribe, e-mail: