commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Memory leak revealed
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:54:42 GMT

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Le 23 mars 05, à 06:04, Brett Porter a écrit :
>
>> The additional patch caused a fairly large breakage in Maven
indicating it was not backwards compatible. Paul was still investigating
when he had time, last I heard.

> Sadly, I did not have the cycles to finalize that... and will be
offline for 10 days...
> Brett, would you find a few cycles to assemble a relatively concrete
sequence of instructions, say on bash, to reproduce it ?
> Maybe others can do this as well ?

I haven't narrowed it down to anything in particular - all I know is
that after applying the patch Maven would no longer build correctly.

Paul had a few issues, though I think they are resolved no, so it should
just be a matter of:

1) apply Hans' patch to Jelly SVN trunk
2) build jelly's core 1.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT
3) follow the instructions here:
http://maven.apache.org/developers/building-from-source.html to check
out the sources of Maven
4) change core/trunk/project.xml to set the jelly version to
1.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT
5) follow the rest of the instructions to bootstrap Maven using Ant.

Sorry that it's not more specific, I guess I'd start by looking into
whether the Context changed its behaviour such that when Maven overrides
it, it no longer works as it should.

I'm probably a month from looking at this further if it is still
desired. Has anyone confirmed that Hans' patch does indeed fix the
memory leak?

- - Brett

> In any case, we should keep an eye on such things even in the future...
>
> I was insisting to do this because it appears to me to be the last
show-stopper before Jelly 1.0. Do I mistake ?