commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PRE-PROPOSAL] Commons as an Apache Top Level Project
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:17:08 GMT
+1

I'm not a particualrly active committer here, but my impression is that
commons needs a group of its own that is charged with oversight to
ensure all the pieces are healthy, and avoid the possibility of it
becoming the "kitchen sink".

I would not explicitly limit it to Java, but I would expect that
anything entering should relate to an existing component or integrate
with the other components and the community in the same way any new java
library would. I think that will generally keep it Java without
compromising the ability to include other languages where it might be
appropriate.

And if you really want to get into a naming mixup, call it Apache
Foundation Classes - Foundation as in "base" or "core" of course :) Phil
is correct - the name is irrelevant at this point. There will be plenty
of options if it comes to that, including keeping the Jakarta.

- Brett

Phil Steitz wrote:

>The first thing to decide is do we want to go TLP.   Lets not get hung
>up on the name.  My read of Hen's post is that the board is not
>against a TLP based on what is now Jakarta Commons, so if we want to
>go TLP they will at least consider it (without forcing us to expand
>scope).  So, all those in favor....
>
>Phil
>

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:16:31 +0000, Rory Winston <rwinston@eircom.net> wrote:
>

>>Er, I thought the basis of the board's objections as outlined by Henri earlier was
that commons.apache.org as a Java-only repository is a no-no....