commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [PRE-PROPOSAL] Commons as an Apache Top Level Project
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:16:39 GMT
Are we ready for this??  If others agree, I am willing to draft a
proposal.   Before doing that, I would like to make sure that others
feel that now is a good time to take this step and also get some
feedback on the basics:

Scope - slightly edited from the current charter, removing the reference
to server products and to Jakarta:

"The subproject shall create and maintain packages written in the Java
language, designed to be used independently of any larger product or
framework."

Initial Committers - all current j-c committers
Initial PMC - Jakarta PMC ^ j-c committers

Name  - Apache Commons

The last item might be contentious, but I think we should try to keep
the name.  My second choice would be "Jakarta" but that is (still ;-) taken.

Phil