commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [logging, beanutils, others] Initial proposal for java.lang.ContextClassLoaderLocal or java.lang.Singleton
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:27:21 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>After working on issues in commons-beanutils and commons-logging linked
>to behaviour within j2ee-style environments, I've come to the conclusion
>that there is currently *no* way to correctly implement the Singleton
>pattern within code that might be deployed in a j2ee-style environment.
>
>This is rather disconcerting.
>
>I believe there is a way, though, that the standard Java library could
>be enhanced to make this possible. In other words, a proposal would need
>to be submitted as an enhancement to java via the Java Community
>Process. Could people please have a look at this and tell me whether
>they think I'm right or that they think I'm nuts?
>
>The doc is here:
>  http://www.apache.org/~skitching/ContextClassLoaderLocal.html

I don't claim to be an expert on any of this and I have not followed all
of the JCL and BeanUtils threads,  so take these as comments from the
peanut gallery.  I like the idea in the proposal, but I am not sure that
the specific application is separating concerns correctly.  Maybe
answering the questions below will help me understand what is going on.

The doc and your previous posts refer to "deployment" and "undeployment"
as the events leading to initialization and cleanup.  This sounds funny
to me, because these are relatively rare events - when new or modified
components are deployed to the server or components are removed.   I
assume that what you really mean is container startup / shutdown
events.  Am I correct here?

Assuming startup/shutdown is what we need to worry about, then whether
we have a problem, and what kind it is, depends on whether the
initialization and cleanup activities can be triggered by J2EE component
lifecycle events.  As Craig pointed out, web application shutdown can be
detected by a ServletContextListener.  Individual servlets get destroy()
events when they are unloaded and EJBs also get lifecycle events.  Where
do the things that we need to worry about "live" in J2EE applications
and why can't they just expose management APIs that get trigerred by
J2EE component lifecycle events?  This is probably where I am not
understanding the problem.  Could it be that part of the problem has to
do with container code itself (i.e, the thingies spawning singletons are
used by the containers directly)?

I can see the general value of the ContextClassLoaderLocal concept, but
I am not sure that for things like BeanUtils instance isolation in J2EE
containers this is the best way to go.  What I am struggling with is why
in a J2EE container environment we would not just use JNDI or servlet-
or EJB-local references to house the singletons and lifecycle events to
initialize and clean them up.  Perhaps ironically, under the covers
tomcat's JNDI provider maps JNDI contexts to classloaders.  Seems to me
that the web app developer should be thinking about the JNDI context,
not the classloader.   I understand that BeanUtils is trying to make
things easier for web app developers by hardwiring the mapping for them,
but somehow that just doesn't seem right to me.  What am I missing?

Phil