commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [lang]/[servlet] Doing some tickling
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 04:22:57 GMT
Thanks for the comments Henri!  I did see those comments.  Rather than
reply on the ticket, I thought here might be more appropriate.

I don't think I can really comment on the idea of it being a tiny bit of
something larger.  You may be 100% right, and this functionality would
be rolled into that, but I do think this comes up for people enough that
it might be nice to have sooner rather than later, even if with the
understanding that down the road it will be expanded greatly.

I did find your concern about ints interesting though, and I wanted to
explain my rationale for that... Very simply, I think the most common
usage of this type of function will result from wanting to know if a
given Calendar object's time falls within a given range.  Since the
Calendar's get method returns an int, it seems logical to me.  In
addition, I think a simple (relatively simple anyway) comparison of ints
is the easiest way to accomplish this function.  I would be interested
to know how you would envision it being done with something other than ints.

On the servlet thing... I originally mentioned these additions probably
three months ago.  The same thing basically was said about the status of
the project as what you said.  It was mentioned (I forget by who
frankly) that submitting these could be the impetuous for getting a
first release out the door.  That might be a little too hopeful frankly,
but it couldn't hurt, as you kind of say :)

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect