commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Lambrou <m...@chrislambrou.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Porting to JDK 1.5 and Generics
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:55:30 GMT
Hi Lukas,

Whilst generic collections provide type safety at compile time, at
runtime all of the specific type information is erased and the
collections classes behave much the same way as their Java 1.4
predecessors.  With respect to the actual implementations of the classes
within the Java Collections Framework, having spent a fair amount of
time looking at them, I see nothing to suggest that their
reimplementation in Java 5  would give rise to any performance
improvement. The only noticeable change to the collections classes is
their generification.  Any specific performance improvements that you
may observe are likely to be due to more general performance
improvements that have been made to Sun's Java 5 JRE (note that it's
possible that some of these improvements may also have been included in
the recent latest releases of the 1.4 JDK).

Chris