commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:29:41 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:11:53 +0100, Remy Maucherat
<remy.maucherat@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's fine, and thanks for all the hard work. c-l works well enough
> in Tomcat right now, so no more updates are actually needed
> (especially non backwards compatible updates ;) ).

Out of dumb interest, what's the need for JCL in Tomcat? Tomcat 5.x is
JDK 5.x only isn't it, so couldn't it be using java.util.logging?

Much of Commons needs JCL to support JDK 1.2 clients, but I'd have
thought you only have that problem in Tomcat 3 and 4 maintenance
branches? Unless the idea is just to support users who might want to
use log4j.

I've still been using log4j, so is it due to java.util.logging being too weak?

My main complaint is that I have to have a String to create a Logger,
rather than log4j which lets me use a Class so I suspect I've not felt
the java.util.logging pain yet.

Hen