commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 2.1 rc (practice)
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:10:05 GMT
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:42:30 -0500, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > It's done on a Mac under 1.4, so I need to get a Linux 1.2 going for
> > the real thing, but I've created a distribution for 2.1:
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang-2.1/
> >
> A couple of things to look at / fix:
>
> 1) Both src and binaries are missing NOTICE.txt

So is the .jar file, which should probably have it too (to go with the
LICENSE.txt).

> 2) ant clean test using source distro fails here:
>
> <target name="static" depends="prepare" description="Copy static files
> to build directory">
>          <tstamp/>
>          <copy todir="${build.home}/conf" filtering="on">
>              <fileset dir="${conf.home}" includes="*.MF"/>
>          </copy>
>      </target>
>
> due to ${conf.home} undefined.

Nice. Looks like the default.properties doesn't get put into the build.

> 3) the binary dist is fat. The 2.0 binary tarball was under 500k and the
> 2.1 candidate is over 2MB.  This is all due to the site stuff.  Might be
> better to turn off some / most of the maven project reports (esp. the
> xref reports) and drop some of the maven image / logo cruft.  For the
> latter, have a look at the maven.xml for directory-naming.  Could be
> this (ability to prevent unused images/logos from being copied out) is
> now available in the latest maven xdoc plugin.

Nasty.

I'm -0 to the whole placing of the site in the dists. Seems like a
waste of bandwidth.

Documentation should be in there, but a site != documentation (maven's
fault, though other non-maven places do exactly the same thing) and
much of the documentation is hardly pertinent (source xref's?). I can
see some argument for it being in th src dists, but we don't even have
it there. Is there anything other than javadoc that should be there?
The userguide is the only thing that jumps to mind, but it's
incomplete.

Only -0 because I'll never have to download the dists. I'll be using
the ibiblio .jar file and the online javadoc (until they get
overwritten by the latest from HEAD, which is a well known grumble for
another time).

Hen