commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yoa...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:37:28 GMT
Hi,

Over on the log4j mailing list, we've been discussing an interesting idea
for the next-generation commons-logging-type component, and wanted to run
the idea by the commons-dev crew for feedback.  This is just informal at
this point, soliciting opinions.

First, as background:

-          Jakarta Commons Logging (JCL) has some problems, as discussed in
http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110780972600001
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110780972600001&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2 among
many other problems.

-          The log4j team has developed UGLI
(http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/ugli.html) to solve these problems,
following a good amount of thought and discussion

-          UGLI is new and very few people know about it, while JCL is very
familiar and widely used

I (personally, not speaking for the entire log4j team here) think it would
be a lot easier for UGLI to be adopted if it is essentially called JCL 2.0
or better yet, commons-logging 2.0 (CL2), taking advantage of that brand
name instead of throwing a completely new and unfamiliar, "yet another
logging interface" to the users.  So I wanted to ask: what would the commons
development community, especially those working on commons-logging, think
of:

-          Move the commons-logging project out of jakarta, into its own
project in Logging Services

-          Proactively cooperate with the log4j team, commons-logging team,
and other interesting parties (e.g. Tomcat, so I'm wearing about three
different hats when writing this message), to combine JCL 2.0 intended
features with current UGLI features

Comments?

Yoav Shapira

System Design and Management Fellow

MIT Sloan School of Management / School of Engineering

Cambridge, MA USA

 <mailto:yoavsh@sloan.mit.edu> yoavsh@sloan.mit.edu /
<mailto:yoavs@computer.org> yoavs@computer.org