commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] parent-first classloaders
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:49:22 GMT
--- Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Ceki,
>
> You mentioned in your page on JCL
> (http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp):
>
> <quote>
> Jake also keeps reminding us on the log4j-dev
> mailing list that the
> child-parent delegation model is not the only model
> out there and that
> parent-first delegation model is alive and well.
> </quote>
>
> Are you able to provide the names of some frameworks
> that use
> parent-first classloading? I'm curious to find out
> whether these are
> large + well-used frameworks or whether these are
> experimental and/or
> obsolete systems.
>
> I find it odd that a container would make it
> impossible for a contained
> application to override libraries that the parent
> provides. This seems
> rather fragile and inflexible to me; maybe reading
> the documentation for
> some projects which "Jake" has referred to will help
> me understand the
> reasons for using parent-first delegation.

JBoss also defaults to parent-first delegation (their
Tomcat integration overrides the standard TC
classloading).  To get child-first classloading you
have to add

<class-loading java2ClassLoadingCompliance="false"/>

to your war's jboss-web.xml file.

I believe the EJB spec mandates standard Java2 (i.e.
parent-first) classloading as well.

Best regards,
Brian