commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] distribution packaging
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:35:11 GMT
--- robert burrell donkin

http://xnet.wanconcepts.com/jcl/furtherAnalysis.html.

> we need to take a longer look into repackaging. i
> didn't expect that
> altering the distributions would work so well.

I was a little surprised myself, which is why I wanted
to follow Ceki's good example and publish test cases
that could easily be verified (or debunked) by others.

> i'd definitely be willing
> to review patches if someone wants to volunteer to
> alter the build,
> create some good test cases and write up some
> documentation.

I'd be happy to take that on if a consensus is reached
that repackaging is the way to go.  Might take me a
bit of time though, as I'm fairly swamped.

> i'd always suspected that static binding was the
> only solution for
> several difficult cases (but using byte code
> engineering rather than
> selective compilation as used in UGLI). the sticking
> point for this (and
> many other cases i'd like to be able to address) is
> that LogFactory is
> too complex and too tightly coupled to a container
> environment.

Yep, all the tests cases basically simulate different
types of containers.  But hopefully we're close to
getting the container use cases clean.

Brian