commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] discovery error handling
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:34:50 GMT
--- robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> that all depends on what is meant by fix :)
> and on what is meant by soon :)
>
> anyone (brian or dennis, maybe?) want to volunteer
> to take a look into
> improving classloading for the 1.0.x development
> stream?

I got some time to look into this and thought I'd
start by going through the test cases Ceki Gülcü
published (thanks Ceki).  What I found was that 1) JCL
1.05RC1 goes a long way toward resolving the issues
Ceki raised, and 2) providing a
"commons-logging-impl.jar" (i.e. the
commons-logging.jar classes not included in
commons-logging-api.jar) for use in child deployments
would resolve most of the rest.

What I've found is documented at
http://xnet.wanconcepts.com/jcl/furtherAnalysis.html.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this list
of these issues, far more than I have had a chance to
digest fully, so I apologize if I'm stating the
obvious or missing the obvious.  But, in any case I
thought others might find it useful to have the
relevant issues summarized in one document; I know I
found Ceki's document very helpful.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would
be most welcome.

Best regards,
Brian