commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration]License issues
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:04:20 GMT
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 11:42 +0100, Oliver Heger wrote:
> Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>
> > Oliver Heger wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed that in some of our files the license header is missing,
> >> especially in the xdocs files. Does it have to be added or is it not
> >> needed in those files?
> >

> > Not sure, what's the rule for the other commons projets ?

It was pointed out on the legal-discuss list that if there is a
copyright statement in a file but no license then theoretically people
other than the copyright owner cannot use the file; the license is what
grants them the right to use, modify and distribute the file.

As we *want* people to be able to use the xdocs, we really need to have
a license in them.

I do have an outstanding request for the issue of license text in
*javadoc output* to be clarified, ie whether it is necessary to ensure
the .html files generated by the javadoc tool contain the license or a
reference to it. My personal view is that it is *not* necessary, but
IANAL and all that.

Cheers,

Simon