commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject RE: [configuration]Site update of howtos
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:07:02 GMT
Over in Turbine land we have the advantage of a separate turbine-site
project.   We have generic site doucmentation, and then the maven
generated docs seperated by version:
/ generic site docs
/2.3
/2.3.1
/2.4-M1

And so on.

What we could do is have
/commons/configuration/  <- current site docs symlinked to
/commons/configuration/1.0
/commons/configuration/1.1/ <-- new site docs
/commons/configuration/1.0/ <-- old site docs

And provide a link to the 1.1 and 1.0 from both projects....

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Heger [mailto:oliver.heger@t-online.de]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:28 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developer List
Subject: [configuration]Site update of howtos

Our current site seems to be very confusing for our users as can be seen

in multiple postings on the user list. The main reason is probably the
user guide (the howtos), which describes the latest version in SVN
rather than the 1.0 release, which is used by most users.

I have now applied a quick and dirty fix for this situation: I manually
uploaded the 1.0 howtos on the server. Then I created two index pages
for the old and new howtos and linked to them in the main navigation
bar, analogous as for the API docs. In the index page for the SVN howtos

there is an explicit warning that this may not be compatible with the
latest released version.

This is of course only a temporary solution because it requires manual
processing on the server. I don't know how we should deal with this
problem. Would it make sense to store both the old and new howtos in the

xdocs and let maven generate it all? I guess that would be the easiest
way.

Oliver