commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DBCP
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:24:16 GMT
Calling BasicDataSource.close() will only close the connections still
in the pool -- not the ones that have been checked out.  It is
designed to be called only when your app is ready to shut down.

For normal usage, the best approach is something like this:

    DataSource ds = ... get your data source reference;
    Connection conn = null;
    try {
        conn = ds.getConnection();
        ... use the connection as needed ...
        conn.close(); // Returns this connection to the pool
    } catch (SQLException e) {
        ... deal with any exception ...
    } finally {
        if (conn != null) {
            try {
                conn.close();
            } catch (SQLException e) {
            }
        }
    }

That way, you're always returning the connection to the pool, even if
an exception occurs while you're using it.

BTW, your MySQL admin will show active connections for all the entries
in the pool, as well as those that have been checked out and are in
use.

Craig

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:14:17 -0800, Paul Hsu <hsu.paul@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one question about DBCP. I like to know if any one have used BasicDataSource.close().
In my program I set up a BasicDataSource and get connection from MYSQL, I call BasicDataSource.close()
right after get connection, I still see the connectioin from MYSQL admin. I just wonder this
function is working?