commons-dev mailing list archives

From Art Gramlich <>
Subject Re: [jci] Waiting for classes to be compiled before continuing
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:05:05 GMT

On Feb 21, 2005, at 12:38 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Art,
> of course the compilation might not be finished right after
> the instantiation of the classloader. ...jci is using an
> asynchronous approach.
> Can you explain why you need this? I understand this is
> bit of a pain for unit testing but I am not seeing it as
> a problem in the real use. ...please explain :)

Mainly right now I'm seeing it in short unit tests on an older machine
(G4 800).
I could see some uses where you would want to be sure the classes are
before trying to access them though (some scriptable applications).

> That being said I do think that some notification mechanism
> would make sense. So you can subscribe to the compiling
> classloader that will send out a notify to the listeners for
> a completed compilation. (and maybe other events)
> ...only question is how to get to the CompilingClassLoader
> instance ...haven't made my mind about that yet.

I like this and it seems like it would be pretty easy to implement.
Right now, it looks like it would have to go into the constructor for
CompilingClassLoader (and subclasses) to catch the first compile
(or events queued - but that sounds really bad).