commons-dev mailing list archives

From Art Gramlich <...@gramlich-net.com>
Subject Re: [javaflow] Some thoughts on the Continuation class
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:47:07 GMT

On Feb 21, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> First, I thought it might make some sense to make a interface for
>> Continuation
>> to implement.  Something along the lines of IContinuation, so that we
>> can
>> reference continuations in a different classloader without loading the
>> continuation
>> class itself.
>
> Hm... just wondering whether it you really need access to any
> methods from the Continuation interface from a different
> classloader. Could you come up with a possible usecase?

I was thinking more of enforcing the type in a class loaded by the
parent
classloader instead of calling the methods.  Right now, I'm just using
Object
in my testing.  Not a big deal to me either way though.  Just a thought.

>> The other one is a little deeper and more involved.  After playing
>> around for a while,
>> it looks like by making a deep copy of a continuation, it can be made
>> act like a full
>> multishot continuation.  I wonder if it would make sense to somehow
>> integrate this.
>> What I was working on doesn't really require this, but I could see
>> someone writing a
>> seaside-like framework wanting this.
>
> IIUC what you mean then you want restart the flow
> at the same position twice or more times?!
>
> This is already possible. Have a look at the testcases.

Yup.  That's what I'm doing.  The thought crossed my mind that it might
be interesting to have that functionality more embedded in the library.
Again, not a big deal.

>> I would be interested in discussing this and have a vague ideas on
>> possible implementations.
>
> A cool extension would be to change the
> continuations (the Stack class) to use a
> differential approach.
>
> ...which would make them much smaller.

This would be very cool.  Again, I'm still pretty new to the code, but
digging
around in my free time at home.  Thanks again for the hard work on all
of this.