commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [chain] LookupCommand's return value
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:48:39 GMT
At 9:23 AM -0800 2/16/05, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:08:14 -0500, Sean Schofield
><sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > I'm just hesitant to add a new dependency on my own whim.  JEXL isn't
>>  > very heavy (132 K) but I think people are keen on keeping Chain light
>>  > too.
>>
>>  Keeping chain light would be nice.  I don't know too much about JEXL
>>  personally although I will be investigating it shortly as an
>>  alternative to Velocity for some template stuff I have.  How would you
>>  propose doing it if you didn't use JEXL?
>>
>>  > Joe
>
>Digester has some limited parameter substitution capabilities that
>could be applied when the chain configuration is being parsed.  Is
>that enough to satisfy the kinds of things you're thinking of that
>might want expressions?

I don't think so, since I'm specifically interested in runtime state.
"Is the ActionForm in *this* context valid?"   "Look up the command
with the name matching the value of the 'path' property of the
current ForwardConfig."  "Look up and execute a command only if the
current value of context property "unitsOrdered" is greater than
1000."

Again, for some or all of these, one could probably manage with
judicious use of CopyCommand and LookupCommand, possibly augmented by
some very simple compiled Java commands which might have properties
for some configurability.

If there's hesitation to formally add any external dependency to the
project, then when I get around to writing some of these, I'll just
put them up somewhere and invite people to have a look.  If people
don't feel that a compile-time dependency on JEXL (which is small and
which has seen a 1.0 release) is too great a burden, then I'll do
them directly in the repository in a package which clearly separates
them from the dependency-free classes
(org.apache.commons.chain.impl.expr or
org.apache.commons.chain.impl.jexl).

Joe