commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brad Neuberg <b...@columbia.edu>
Subject Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:53:09 GMT
Total +1 on this.  Now that the ROME developers want to work on a unified
API and JavaOne speech this should make working with them much easier.

Brad

At 05:54 PM 2/2/2005, you wrote:

>Hey gang.
>
>I'd like to propose that we move FeedParser into commons proper.  The main
>personal requirement for this is that I want to do a 0.5 release for my
>CodeCon
>talk on the FeedParser on Feb 11.
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/feedparser/
>
>We've been in the sandbox for 11 months now.  The FeedParser itself is
>more than
>2 years old.  Its currently used in production at rojo.com to handle more than
>1.9 million feeds.
>
>We currently have three developers working on the FeedParser:
>
>Kevin Burton (me)
>Brad Neuberg (Rojo Networks Inc.)
>Joseph Ottinger (Fusion Alliance)
>
>We're also working with the Rome developers (another RSS parser) to try to
>standardize APIs and are collaborating on a common feed parsing components
>including networking IO, autodiscovery, unit test, and potential
>collaboration.
>In order for this to happen though I need to get a stable release of
>FeedParser
>out the door and the sandbox doesn't allow any releases.
>
>I also want to be able to give out SVN commit to additional developers as they
>come on board.
>
>Also... I assume we can get a dedicated mailing list for the FeedParser?
>HttpClient is currently doing this.
>
>The roadmap for FeedParser is to get a 0.5 release out before Feb 11 and then
>about a month later to release 1.0.  Then I want to start working on
>better and
>DEEPER unit tests and then rewrite the backend to use SAX.   At this point I
>can make a better case that the Rome developers should build their object
>model
>on top of FeedParser ....
>
>Thanks guys!!!
>
>--
>
>Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator).  Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an
>invite!  Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.
>
>Rojo is Hiring! - http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html
>
>If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you
>should work for Rojo!  If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll
>get a free iPod!
>
>Kevin A. Burton, Location - San Francisco, CA
>       AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://peerfear.org/
>GPG fingerprint: 5FB2 F3E2 760E 70A8 6174 D393 E84D 8D04 99F1 4412

Brad Neuberg, bkn3@columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.