commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [logging] discovery error handling
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:55:34 GMT
At 02:45 AM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
>robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote on
>02/08/2005 04:25:57 PM:
>
> > one of the drawbacks about JCL 1.0.x is the approach to handling errors
> > in the configuration and discovery mechanism. JCL falls down and (in
> > most commons use cases) takes the application with it. it also fails to
> > provide useful diagnostic information.
> >
> > i've been considering for a while adopting a system for error handling
> > which allows a system property to be used to tune the exactly behaviour:
> > classic more would throw runtimes (as per now), silent more would
> > suppress all issues continuing to function as well as it is able and
> > diagnostic would print diagnostic information to System.out. though not
> > all environments would allow system properties to be set, i think that
> > this would improve matters for many common use cases.
> >
> > opinions?
>
>Yes :-), focus all efforts on improving discovery and diagnostics on
>commons-discovery, and let's abandon further efforts to improve JC
>logging/discovery, other than to regress back to "simple simple simple"
>behavior that doesn't break so easily [ala the UGLI discovery].

Richard,

The article below should strengthen your hand:

   http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp

Admittedly, it deals rather harshly with JCL but factually so, in the
sense that all examples therein can be reproduced with a Java compiler
and the JVM. For any remaining subjective interpretation, I am sure
you'll know who to blame.

If you spot any factual mistakes, please do not hesitate to contact me
so that the error can be rectified. Thanks in advance,

--
Ceki Gülcü