commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject commons benchmark in sandbox.
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:27:24 GMT
Hey.

I just added a new project to the sandbox.  Its designed to provide
lightweight runtime benchmarking for Java code.  Think log4j for
benchmarking.

The code can be disabled at runtime with almost no performance hit.  Its
also very fast when enabled as well being able to product 1M benchmarks
per second with a modern CPU.

The goal is to provide universal and exported performance benchmarks
that can be enabled at runtime for the JVM.  It can also be used to
provide historical benchmarking.  Think perfmon for Java.  We actually
are using it to tie it into ganglia and rrdtool so that we can generate
graphs as the the performance of our application.

Right now its just a working proof of concept and needs a lot before it
can be shipped.  Better API design, XML configuration support,
documentation, etc.

Once (and if) its in Jakarta and out of the sandbox it could be used in
packages like FeedParser or Tomcat to export benchmarking statistics.

Kevin

get a free iPod!