commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@gmail.com>
Subject [all] External and Internal API's
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:06:06 GMT
I've been working with the Eclipse SDK quite a bit lately, Eclipse has a
coding standard where they divide the API up into "external" and
"internal" API's. Internal API's are subject to change, while External
API's are more stable and regulated. The division of these API's is usually:

External API:
org.foo.bar

Internal API:
org.foo.bar.internal

Theses are similar to "Interface and Implementation" but without the
association to OO Class/Interface terms already having "specific
definitions".

I think this is very "savvy" concept for managing the codebase. I wonder
if this is an idea that would be of benefit if implemented in the
commons? Is this approach already used in some commons components?

-Mark