commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [jxpath] Future of JXPath and DOM???
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:04:52 GMT
Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

>Jess,
>
>JXPath has always supported Xalan through JAXP DOM APIs.  What you may have seen in the
source code of JXPath is some attempts to optimize JXPath when it is used specifically in
combination with Xalan.  You would not be interested in that optimization, because it would
only be applied to static DOM and take advantage of DTM.

>Try using JXPath and let us know how it works out.

Dumb question (which I probably figured out last time I tried this
stuff, but have no notes/recollection of):

    Is there an equivalent of Xalan's one-size-fits-all "XObject  xobj =
    xpath.execute(...)" mechanism in JXPath?

I'm looking for a CompiledExpression.getValue() that returns an Object
for which:

   1. I know the various possible return types when this is applied to a
      DOM.
   2. The result is the most appropriate (as per the XPath standard) of
      the following:
          * NodeList or NodeIterator -- or something from which I can
            easily implement one or both of these interfaces
          * Boolean
          * Number
          * String

[I assume callers will apply includes castes within their XPath
expressions as necessary where they expect a non-node result.]

Is there such a beast?

The one-API fits all (beans, JDOM, DOM, etc) approach makes this a bit
hard for me to decipher.

--
Jess Holle