commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] release strategy
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:33:30 GMT
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:05:36 -0500, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > This is why I ([collections]) use ant for builds and maven only for
> > website building.
> >
> > Basically, IMHO, a src-zip should contain not only the source java, but
> > the source for building a local copy of the website.
>
> I agree (that the xdoc should be included in the src distro).  This
> could be done using a maven preGoal:
>
> <preGoal name="dist:build-src">
>     <ant:copy todir="${maven.dist.src.assembly.dir}/xdocs">
>        <ant:fileset dir="xdocs"/>
>     </ant:copy>
> </preGoal>

On this particular issue, I think the documentation should be included
with the build and not the site. Even more importantly for Collections
than for Lang; a Collections 2.1 downloader should not get lots of
Collections 3.0 stuff.

We don't separate documentation and site though, so I'm -0 for the
xdocs being in there and will add them in, it just changes the release
strategy.

> I don't see this as a big maintenance issue, but could be I am missing
> Hen's point below.

If we branch off and do a release from a branch, we have to maintain
the branch's site for the release and the trunk's site for our live
site. So our previous release strategy makes more sense under this
scenario, release from trunk and then tag at the release point.

Hen