commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] Identify Class Loader Problems
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:03:06 GMT
On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:17, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> On 2005-01-27 22:52:02, Richard Sitze wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> Sorry for not responding earlier. I'be got a question regarding item C.
>
>  > C.  Host / Sub
>  >
>  >   - commons-logging.jar#org.apache.commons.logging.Log is
>  >     loaded/loadable by Host.
>  >
>  >   - A host, such as JUnit, creates and manages an independent Sub
>  >     ClassLoader
>  >
>  >   - Sub does NOT reference Host as a parent.
>
> How is that possible? As far as I know, a child class loader will
> (by default) inherit the system class loader as a parent, in this case
> 'Host'.

i believe richard is talking about the case where both the host and the
sub inherit (directly or indirectly) from the system classloader but
where the sub does not inherit from the host.

> As the set up you describe seems impossible to me, I can't make sense
> of the rest of your conclusions for item 'C'. What am I missing?

i believe that this arrangement happens in some EJB containers and is
also used by some tools (for example, byte code enhancers).

- robert