commons-dev mailing list archives

From Karan Malhi <karan.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a new Commons personalization package
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:21:02 GMT
Hi Daniel,

I would like to be involved with this project.
Also portals would require a container to be involved, so  i agree
with you,  personalization should not be restricted to portals or web
applications.

My question is, is there something already available where i can use
personalization in my application and not use portals container. This
is because, not all projects need portals, but most of them need
personalization.  If something like this is not available already,
then i would definitely like this personalization project to happen.

Regards

Karan Singh

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:20:02 -0500, daniel.vlad@highmark.com
<daniel.vlad@highmark.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that these personalization components can be
> used for non web applications as well. There is no technology out there to
> personalize Swing clients, applets, non-visual Java clients, wireless
> applications, in addition to Web applications.
> Not all applications are portals, in fact the opposite is probably true:
> only a minority of the applications being built today are portals. So, why
> restricting the use of personalization to portals only?
> That is why I believe that these components would be a good fit for Jakarta
> Commons.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel H. Vlad
>
>              "Stephen
>              Colebourne"
>              <scolebourne@btop                                          To
>              enworld.com>              "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>                                        <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
>              01/05/2005 04:43          craigmcc@apache.org
>              PM                                                         cc
>
>                                                                    Subject
>              Please respond to         Re: Proposal for a new Commons
>              "Jakarta Commons          personalization package
>              Developers List"
>              <commons-dev@jaka
>               rta.apache.org>
>

> I would say that on balance this doesn't strike me as a commons component.
> Commons components should be small and isolated in scope. This proposal
> covers a specific file format and forces a use of tag libraries.
>
> I can see various possibilities for it:
> - Host at sourceforge
> - Try Jakarta Taglibs project - by focussing on the taglibs aspect, and
> potentially reusing other tags there, you may have more success
> - Try to build a community focussed on small interoperating parts commonly
> used in web applications, eg. by adding a logon component, a user
> management
> component
>
> Stephen

Karan Malhi