commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Proposal for a new Commons personalization package
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:04:20 GMT
daniel.vlad wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that these personalization components can be
> used for non web applications as well.

Your current propose seems webapp specific.

> Not all applications are portals, in fact the opposite is probably true

> So, why restricting the use of personalization to portals only?

Agreed.  However, since personalization is part of the Portal Specification,
should we not be trying to drive a common concept and technology?  The
Portal doesn't specify HOW it works, just the interface contract.  And what
I said wasn't that all personalization should be done by portals, but that a
personalization project should be compatible with the existing
specifications for personalization.

We need a concept of a user and a user's Preferences for a particular
component.  We want independence of storage.  We probably want to look at
the WMM which also supports mapping different pieces of data into different
storage components, e.g., LDAP for enterprise-wide data, and a local DB for
locally added personalization.

Done properly, I could see this leading to a JSR.

	--- Noel