commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Milind Parikh" <milindpar...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons Jelly RC1 and Maven : More than Magic
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:38:18 GMT

Le 5 janv. 05, à 09:02, Milind Parikh a écrit :
>I am in the process of writing a book on Maven. (www.milindparikh.com). In
>this book, I intend to have six chapters on Jelly and Jelly programming.
>The first chapter should be published by tmrw.

What is your timeline ?
Milind : The second chapter is going to be published next week.

>However Commons-Jelly RC1 is flouting some of the basic rules that make the
>Apache Group so solid. The Commons-Jelly RC1 will not even jar because it
>misses certain files (actually just one file). Additionally it will not
>dist.

Yes, this is known.
But we'd rather roll out an RC2 rather than rolling out a fixed
version, at least this is my opinion.
Milind : I would much rather have a RC2; so we are saying the same thing.

>In the second chapter, I need to get into the installation related stuff.
>Is there an RC2 that is going to be out there soon? If I need to put RC1
>and how I installed it, I am going to lose 25% of the audience.  I see a
>1.0-RC2 - SNAPSHOT; but the main place from where typically the users
>download is still RC1.

Again... timeline...
How describing an ideal scenario that, if it sounds reasonable, we make
true for RC2?

Milind : At this point, I am guessing that RC2 is at least a month away?
Will the jar and dist just work? Are there any other gotchas?

>In addition, is Commons Jelly undergoing active development?

You seem to be new to the list... it is definitely undergoing active
development!

Milind : I see a lot of activity going on. I do not see a firm commitement.
Statements such as these coming from Brett Porter(albeit a little dated) do
not help: "Why do you hate Maven? Because you hate Jelly....Well you're not
alone! As has been mentioned, even the author has publicly apologised for it
and moved on to better things. It has its fair share of bugs and Maven bears
the brunt of this a lot. Having said that, it does do some things pretty
well once you get used to it and you can get by in Maven without ever
needing to use the nasty bits.And there is light at the end of the tunnel:
future versions of Maven will support other scripting languages. So is it
just Jelly that disgusts you, or is it something else?"

paul

Copyright © 1999-2002, The Apache Software Foundation