commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim O'Brien" <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r149171 - in jakarta/commons: proper/commons-build/trunk/ sandbox/cli/trunk/ sandbox/codec-multipart/trunk/ sandbox/compress/trunk/ sandbox/compress/trunk/xdocs/ sandbox/contract/trunk/ sandbox/contract/trunk/xdocs/ sandbox/convert/trunk/
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:27:46 GMT
Can't think of a general solution that doesn't involve a complete break
from what we do.  What you've done is optimize the system for people
checking out trunks-proper or trunk-sandbox which (IMO) is the way to
go.

What I was saying was that, if you wanted to work with a specific branch
or tag of a specific component you would start by checking out the
trunks-proper, then cd to the component directory and svn switch to the
tag or branch.  That way, you are still referencing commons-build as
../commons-build.

Right now we reference ../commons-build - a completely *insane* idea
would be to move that dependency up one level.  A component directory
could, itself, have an svn:externals property which referenced
commons-build.  This way, instead of depending on sibling directories,
every component could be treated as an isolated build.  I think that
this concept would only work if we separated all of the commons site
content from commons-build, and had commons-build only contain content
that must be referenced from all projects.  The other possibility this
brings up is the ability to have older tags of component reference
specific versions of commons-build.

That solutions isn't necessarily pretty, but it would solve the problem
for people who checkout trunks-proper and inidividual components.  But,
I'll be the first to admit it is heavy on the svn:externals property.

Tim