commons-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all][VOTE] svn migration
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:31:42 GMT
On Jan 22, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:
> If you're an IDE-only developer and you don't care about backing out
> changes, merging, refactoring, or tagging and branching, then you
> might have a point about a "winning proposition for the developer".
> But once you've experienced SVN's atomic commits, remote moving,
> renaming, tagging and branching, etc., you'll wonder how you ever
> lived without it. ;-) Some of the stuff we've done with the Struts
> repo, since we switched to SVN, we probably wouldn't have dreamed of
> trying with only CVS.

I've done all of the above with CVS. And sure, it is less than ideal.
But those generally aren't day-to-day operations.

Day-to-day the IDE is my view unto the code, and its ability to work
seamlessly with the repository is key. Tool support will catch up for
SVN, and that will be a glorious day!

cheers.
-pete