commons-dev mailing list archives

From "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <bink...@alumni.rice.edu>
Subject Re: [vfs] proposal: MemoryFS
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:39:31 GMT
B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:
> I'm thinking of implementing a "memory filesystem" with VFS as a
> demonstration.  The demo filesystems for local files and URLs are fine
> and good, but they are not very pedagogic for implementing virtual
> features.  For example, they do not do much with attributes.  A
> filesystem implementation which stored everything in memory would permit
> demonstration of the full range of features for VFS.

Towards this end, I've started a RamFileName, et al.  Looking at my
proposal, I realize that MemoryFS is a lousy name.  :-)  RamFS is a much
better name: it is more clear (could MemoryFS refer to persistence
instead of computer memory), and matches the names of existing RAM
filesystem (on Linux).

How's this for a scheme?

     ram:<path>

Where <path> is a regular Unix-style path and ram:/ refers to the root
set of the RAM filesystem.

Cheers,
--binkley