commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: [feedparser] Fwd: Fwd: [ST-J] java rss?
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:23:40 GMT
Dion Gillard wrote:

>Dion I was looking at feedparser a little (and btw my comment
>previously was about the commons-configuration project not feedparser)
>and my understanding it's an event based API, eg analogous to SAX.

Yes...

>Also the front page 'example' indicates classes that just don't seem
>to even exist in the Javadoc.

I know. Joseph Ottinger just gave me a patch to build all packages in
SVN with Javadoc. Now I just need to figure out how to update the site :)

>The example has the text "Developers
>place all their logic in a FeedParserListener which receives callbacks
>from the FeedParser. They then pass the FeedParser an InputStream and
>they are ready to get events:" but the Javadoc has no class called
>FeedParser. The sample code then shows that the FeedParserListener is
>implemented as an inline class of type DefaultFeedParserListener which
>is also not in the javadoc. It has  utilises a variable called parser
>- FeedParser parser = FeedParserFactory.newFeedParser(); - again this
>class doesn't exist in the javadoc.

Hm... that one should... The javadoc is out of date. Again we're still
trying to get everything setup within Apache correctly. Still trying to
work on that. Any help appreciated ;)

There's a wiki page I created for this:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/FeedParser/HelpingDevel

>finally the method signature of the onItem()
>
> public void onItem( FeedParserState state,
>                            String title,
>                            String link,
>                            String description,
>                            String permalink ) throws FeedParserException {
>
>shows that it doesn't support the many features of RSS 2.0 for example
>enclosures (important in my context) plus many other tags you can find
>in the rss item.

Yes... it was designed that way. onItem() is designed to be compatible
across all flavors of RSS and Atom. Any additional metadata is passed
within additional events.

For example the above has no date information. If you want dates a
second event is called after onItem() called onCreated() with a java
Date object (and we handle the complexity of ISO8601 vs RFC822 dates)

>of course the example might just be very old but it's not exactly
>awe-inspiring when the given example doesn't appear to match anything
>documented in the api.

The API is just out of sync. We should still have more examples.

>just thought you might like to pass this feedback on.

Thanks for the feedback!

get a free iPod!