commons-dev mailing list archives

From "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <bink...@alumni.rice.edu>
Subject [vfs] proposal: MemoryFS
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:17:20 GMT
I'm thinking of implementing a "memory filesystem" with VFS as a
demonstration.  The demo filesystems for local files and URLs are fine
and good, but they are not very pedagogic for implementing virtual
features.  For example, they do not do much with attributes.  A
filesystem implementation which stored everything in memory would permit
demonstration of the full range of features for VFS.

I suppose there might be practical use as well as a scratch filesystem
which does not use the disk (unlike tempfs).  One might also provide
layering ala BSD's union filesystem so that one could rollback changes
just by removing the most recent layer (I believe this is how ClearCase
works, IIRC).

And it would be fun.  :-)

Cheers,
--binkley