commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: [jelly] Maven JSL memory leak and Jelly
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:30:23 GMT
Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Ideally, a test-case would be awesome, even if it refers to some
> far-away stylesheet...

I'll try and narrow it down first by cutting down site.jsl to the
minimum that leaks.

> Can you try calling .clear() on the result of this
>                 context.runScript(uri, output, isExport(), isInherit())
> (and the other call).

so try with context.clear() inside IncludeTag? Ok, will try tomorrow.

> Maybe that'll help.
> In all cases, this context is gc-ed shortly after, I believe... so I
> see no reasons for big leaks at the tag-cache level.

It leaks 200k every time site.jsl is run, so should be easy to find,
right? :)

> Also, maybe it would help to give more details where to go... I think
> this was reported about very long ago so maybe a distribution
> maven-1.0.2 or such should have this bug ?

easiest to run it against Maven's trunk really as it is compatible with
Jelly RC2 (RC1 was broken, so it currently uses beta-4 until RC2 is
released). RC2 won't work with Maven 1.0.x.

If you want to give it a go:
- check out Maven from SVN and build:
    svn co
    svn co
- build maven inside maven-1/core/trunk (see,
make sure you reassign a new MAVEN_HOME!)
- run "maven xdoc" and watch memory go...
- twiddle xdoc plugin and run "maven plugin:install" to test. Use the
memory tag lib I just added to jelly to test. <memory:gc/> and
<memory:showFree />.

Hopefully I'll have more information tomorrow, I'm going to bed now. I'm
keen to kill this before Jelly 1.0 if possible.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message