commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/jelly maven.xml
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:09:16 GMT

> The postGoal is not invoked... that's my problem.

It should be. If this is on jelly, I can give it a quick test now.

>> I'm not sure what you mean here?
> (like, I think this too much btw, test)
> That making "maven jar" always runs the unit-tests where there are
> situations (e.g. when working on the website) that the project.xml,
> maven.xml,, and all source files are not changed so
> that tests have no reasons to reflect anything new.

Right, we have definitely talked about:
- making sure tests only run once per session
- and/or only when changed.

Makes sense, but doesn't fit the current architecture well.

> But I fear this is close to a religious war...

yep, that's why maven.test.skip exists

> I prefer tests to be thick and covering a lot than being a snap...

Maven's encouragement is to run them often, and so keep them simple. If
you have comprehensive, long tests like the memory leak tests, they
should be a separate test suite, run pre-commit, through continuous
integration, and pre-release but not necessarily for every change.

Most of the time, the thick tests tend to be integration tests rather
than unit tests.

- Brett