commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject [vfs] more FileUtils
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:44:28 GMT
B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:
> I'd like to see some more utility methods for manipulating file
> objects.  For example, much of my code needs:
>
>     void saveAs() throws IOException;
>     void moveTo() throws IOException;
>     void copyTo() throws IOException;
For sure, we could introduce a FileUtils, but ...
> private static void saveMaybeBackup(final WhimFile original,
... this "MaybeBackup" is a thing we could discuss at its own.
How should a backup be done and named?
a) backup to *.bak
b) use versioning - e.g. *.bak_01, *.bak_02
b.1) with max versions
c) use timestamping - e.g. *.bak_20050101
c.1) but not more than 20 backups

and so on.
Said that, I think, if such a method allows a "BackupPolicy" and we
provide SimpleBackupPolicy (case a) and NoBackupPolicy this could be a
real enhancement.

Could you please post a proposal about the methods and its functions you
would like to see. This would be a great start.

Thanks!
Mario