commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Oxley <box...@simdesk.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] LocalFile package-protected and final: why?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:42:43 GMT
[A quick meta-question: is this list the right place for technical
questions of this sort?  I don't want to spam the uninterested.]

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Before I decide to make it public (and non final) could you please
> explain in short what you try to do?

I'm working to persuade my group to drop an inhouse implementation of a
java.io.File-extended hierarchy and switch to VFS's FileName/FileObject
instead.  We have a mess; you have a clean design.

Of the existing providers, local is the best fit to our file-like
objects so I wanted to extend LocalFile (why is it not LocalFileObject,
BTW?  I'm a nit for consistency.)  I was hoping to simply extend
LocalFile and override the few spots that differed (such as supporting
attributes).

Simply as a matter of preference, I dislike final classes as it
discourages reuse.  I know this is not a clear-cut issue.

Cheers,
--binkley