commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject [io] Submission: Commons IO GetFreeSpace]
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:27:13 GMT
Forgive me, it was before the holidays, so my memory is foggy... was
there any resolution on whether this would be added to Commons IO or
not?  Did I possibly miss it being added?  Or, do I need to roll it into
a FileSystemUtils class as Stephen mentions?  I can take care of that
probably tonight if that's all that's holding it up (but I don't know if
it was being accepted in the first place)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

---------------------------- Original Message
---------------------------- Subject: Re: [io] Submission: Commons IO
GetFreeSpace From: "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
Date: Thu, December 23, 2004 12:49 pm To: "Jakarta Commons Developers
List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Prefixing by [io] would help...... This is quite a clever solution to
this problem, especially not using any native code. I am of mixed views
as to whether to add it to [io] however. My question would be as to why
you would need to know this information. What is a real use case (as
I've never faced one). If we did add it , it would have to be a
FileSystemUtils. Stephen ----- Original Message ----- From:
<fzlists@omnytex.com>

 >> Please download package at
 >> http://www.omnytex.com/commons-io-getfreespace.zip
 >>
 >> I submit this here for consideration of being added to Commons IO.  If

this should be directed elsewhere, I would appreciate that information.
Thanks for your time!

 >> Synopsis
 >> --------
 >> A common question I've seen asked (and been asked myself numerous times)

is how to get the free space on a volume in a pure-Java way. At the
present time, as far as I know, nothing like this exists

 >> in the SDKs.  So, I set out to write a class that could do it
 >> for any platform (almost) without using JNI.  It's still not really a

pure-Java solution since it uses System.exec to shell out to an
OS-specific utility (dir for Windows, df for *nix) to get the

 >> information.
 >>
 >> I have tested this on Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT,
 >> RedHat Linux and Mandrake Linux.  I believe it will work on
 >> virtually any Windows or *nix platform, although the more
 >> verification of this I can get, the better!
 >>
 >> I have purposely left out support for some platforms like AS/400 and

OS/390 because I frankly don't know anything about them and

 >> don't have access to them to test.  Perhaps down down...
 >>
 >> To use it, simply instantiate a GetFreeSpace object and call the

GetFreeSpace() method, passing it a path.  This will be a drive

 >> letter, including the colon, on Windows, or a mounted filesystem on

*nix.  An IOEXception is thrown if anything goes wrong, with

 >> an at least somewhat descriptive message about what may have
 >> gone wrong.  Generally-speaking, if used as specified, it should "just

work".  (Does it make more sense to make this a static method of some
other Commons object?  Anyone?)