commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [chain] [nag] Please commit stuff for DispatchChain
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:41:13 GMT
I would start by saying that you can make the case for DispatchChain
more than you can for DispatchCommand or LookupDispatchCommand both of
which are now in there.

Joe should probably weigh in on this because of his initial
contribution of DispatchCommand.  I added LookupDispatchCommand to
round things out but I'm not totally convinced its necessary anymore
(I thought I would need it for DispatchChain.)

Now some additional defense about my beloved DispatchChain...

Its not for everyone, true, but neither is LookupCommand and stuff
like that.  That's why I feel it should belong in the 'generic'
package.  Its a useful tool that is general enough that others may
want to use it.

Also, DispatchChain still implements the Command interface.  It has
only a single execute method.  It can be used with ChainBase,
LookupCommand, or any of the other combinations of Commands you can
think of.  You do not use a dispatch method to call DispatchChain, you
just provide the chain with a dispatch method to call on its own
commands.

This is still in keeping with the composite nature of the chain.  When
you lookup a regular chain in a catalog and call execute, you don't
have to worry yourself about whether something is a chain or a regular
command, just that it implements the command interface.  Same thing
here.  Its just that now this variant of chain will call a different
method on its commands.

Its still in keeping with the COR pattern.  A single method (and the
same method) is called by every command in the chain.  Any one of
those commands can terminate execution if it feels the request has
been satisfied.  Just think of it as a chain within a chain.

sean