commons-dev mailing list archives

From daniel.v...@highmark.com
Subject Re: Proposal for a new Commons personalization package
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:20:02 GMT

I just wanted to point out that these personalization components can be
used for non web applications as well. There is no technology out there to
personalize Swing clients, applets, non-visual Java clients, wireless
applications, in addition to Web applications.
Not all applications are portals, in fact the opposite is probably true:
only a minority of the applications being built today are portals. So, why
restricting the use of personalization to portals only?
That is why I believe that these components would be a good fit for Jakarta
Commons.

Thanks,
Daniel H. Vlad

             "Stephen
             Colebourne"
             <scolebourne@btop                                          To
             enworld.com>              "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
                                       <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
             01/05/2005 04:43          craigmcc@apache.org

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Proposal for a new Commons
             "Jakarta Commons          personalization package
             Developers List"
             <commons-dev@jaka
              rta.apache.org>

I would say that on balance this doesn't strike me as a commons component.
Commons components should be small and isolated in scope. This proposal
covers a specific file format and forces a use of tag libraries.

I can see various possibilities for it:
- Host at sourceforge
- Try Jakarta Taglibs project - by focussing on the taglibs aspect, and
potentially reusing other tags there, you may have more success
- Try to build a community focussed on small interoperating parts commonly
used in web applications, eg. by adding a logon component, a user
management
component

Stephen