commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a new Commons personalization package
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:40:26 GMT
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:20:02 -0500, daniel.vlad@highmark.com
<daniel.vlad@highmark.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that these personalization components can be
> used for non web applications as well. There is no technology out there to
> personalize Swing clients, applets, non-visual Java clients, wireless
> applications, in addition to Web applications.

Um, in which of these environments does the JDK Preferences API not work?

> Not all applications are portals, in fact the opposite is probably true:
> only a minority of the applications being built today are portals. So, why
> restricting the use of personalization to portals only?
> That is why I believe that these components would be a good fit for Jakarta
> Commons.

The code in your JDJ article is tied to the Servlet API. (The
isRuleSatisfied() method requires an HttpServletRequest parameter.) In
section 2 of your proposal, you did not mention removing such a
dependency as part of the planned enhancements.

Aside from the fact that I don't personally believe we need such a
component in Commons, such a dependency would have to be removed for
this to be useful.

--
Martin Cooper