commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jakarta Commons Wiki] New: SigningReleases
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:10:25 GMT
Hi Robert,

As you wish :)

A more complete release plugin is really still on the TODO list. What is there
now is doing the job enough to get by, so I'd really like the next work to be
done right, from the ground up. If you've got requirements, I'd be happy to keep
them in mind.

There's been an scm:prepare-release/scm:perform-release combination for over a
year which is what is used. It does the following.
prepare:
- update currentVersion to the new version
- update changes.xml to the release date
- commit these to cvs
- tag the result
perform:
- clean checkout from a tag in cvs
- run instructed goals (usually jar:deploy, site:deploy)

I'm just finishing the SVN support for this now - a beta will be out over the
weekend.

I still use this for distributions, but manually sign and upload them. When the
dist and artifact plugins have this capability themselves, this would not be
necessary. These sorts of things could be done now as it is really independant
of defining a more complete release process.

This is the documentation I'm working from for the new Maven site's release
document:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/developers/releasing-plugins.html

Cheers,
Brett